ProAir HFA aerosol is a sympathomimetic (beta agonist) bronchodilator. It is used for treating and preventing breathing problems in patients who have asthma or certain other airway diseases. It may also be used to prevent breathing problems caused by exercise. This medication works by widening the airways in the lungs, which helps you breathe more easily.
We currently have the generic Albuterol/ Salbutamol inhaler from Canada, available in 100 mcg/200 dose. Generic Salbutamol is also known as Apo-Salbutamol CFC manufactured by Apotex or Teva-Salbutamol HFA (previously NovoPharm).
Check with your doctor if any of these common side effects persist or become bothersome:cough; headache; nervousness; runny or stuffy nose; sore or dry throat; tremor; trouble sleeping; unusual taste in mouth.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these severe side effects occur: severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing or swallowing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, throat, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); chest pain; decreased coordination; fast or irregular heartbeat; muscle pain, weakness, or cramping; new or worsening breathing problems (eg, shortness of breath, wheezing); pounding in the chest; severe or persistent headache or dizziness; severe or persistent nausea or vomiting; severe or unusual drowsiness; sluggishness; voice changes.
Do not use ProAir HFA aerosol if you are allergice to any of the ingredients in ProAir HFA aerosol or if you are using another short-acting sympathomimetic bronchodilator (e.g., pibuterol). Some medical conditions may interact with ProAir HFA aerosol. Tell your doctor if you have any medical conditions and if the following applies to you:
• If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding;
• If you are taking any prescription or non-prescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary
• If you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances;
• If you have a history of heart problems, (e.g., fast or irregular heartbeat), blood vessel problems, high
blood pressure, or low blood potassium levels;
• If you have a history of seizures, diabetes, thyroid problems, kidney problems, or an adrenal gland tumor
• If you have ever had an unusual reaction to another sympathomimetic medicine (e.g., pseudoephedrine),
such as fast or irregular heartbeat, overexcitement, or severe trouble sleeping;
• If you have taken linezolid, a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (e.g., phenelzine), or tricyclic
antidepressant (e.g., amitriptyline) within the last 14 days
There are some medications that may interact with ProAir HFA aerosol such as:
• Diuretics (e.g., furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide) because the risk of low blood potassium levels may be
• Linezolid, MAOIs (e.g., phenelzine), other short-acting sympathomimetic bronchodilators (e.g.,
pirbuterol), or tricyclic antidepressants (e.g., amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of ProAir
HFA aerosol's side effects;
• Beta-blockers (e.g., propranolol) because they may decrease ProAir HFA aerosol's effectiveness or
worsen your condition;
• Digoxin because its effectiveness may be decreased by ProAir HFA aerosol