Silenor (Doxepin) is used to treat sleep problems (insomnia). Silenor belongs to a group of drugs called hypnotics. This medication may help you to stay asleep longer and reduce the number of times you awaken during the night. The recommended dose of Silenor is 6 mg once daily. It should be taken within 30 minutes before bedtime.
The brand name Silenor is from Canada. It is available in the strength of 3mg and 6mg.
Silenor Side Effects
Serious side effects include:
• Confusion, hallucinations, unusual thoughts of behavior, seizure;
• Easy bruising or bleeding, unusual weakness;
• Extreme thirst with headache, nausea, vomiting and weakness;
• Feeling light-headed, fainting;
• Restless muscle movements in your eyes, tongue, jaw or neck;
• Tremors or uncontrollable shaking
Less serious side effects include:
• Decreased sex drive, impotence, or difficulty having an orgasm;
• Drowsiness, dizziness;
• Lack of coordination;
• Numbness or tingly feeling;
• Swelling of breast (in men or women);
• Weight changes
Before you take Doxepin, inform your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it or to other tricyclic antidepressants such as amoxapine. Taking Silenor with other drugs that make you sleepy or slow your breathing can increase the side effects. You should not use Doxepin if you are allergic to it, or if you have untreated narrow-angle glaucoma or severe problems with urination. It is unknown whether Silenor will harm an unborn baby. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medication. Doxepin can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Avoid taking Silenor within 3 hours after eating a meal. Do not drink alcohol. This medication can increase the effects of alcohol, which could be dangerous. This medication may also impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.