Hyzaar (Losartan/Hctz) is a combination medication that is used to lower high blood pressure (hypertension), losartan and hydrochlorothiazide. Losartan belongs to the class of medications called angiotensin II receptor blockers. They help to lower blood pressure by relaxing blood vessels. Hydrochlorothiazide belongs to the class of medications called diuretics or “water pills”. It helps control blood pressure by getting rid of excess salt and water. Hyzaar is prescribed when your doctor feels it is appropriate for you to take both medications.
We currently have the brand (also called Hyzaar Fort) from Turkey manufactured by Merck and the generic Hyzaar comes from Canada manufactured by Sandoz. Hyzaar is available in tablet form and strengths of 50 mg/12.5 mg, 100 mg/12.5 mg, and 100 mg/25 mg.
Check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur:
• A light-headed feeling, like you might pass out;
• Drowsiness, confusion, mood changes, increased thirst, loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting;
• Eye pain, vision problems;
• Fast or pounding heartbeats;
• High potassium (slow heart rate, weak pulse, muscle weakness, tingly feeling);
• Jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
• Pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding;
• Swelling, rapid weight gain, little or no urinating
Common side effects may include:
• Back pain;
• Dry cough;
• Dizziness, tired feeling;
• Runny or stuffy nose, sore throat;
• Skin rash;
• Stomach pain
You should not use Hyzaar if you are unable to urinate, or if you are allergic to penicillin or sulfa drugs. Do not use Hyzaar if you are pregnant. Stop using and tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant. Hyzaar can cause injury or death to the unborn baby if you take the medicine during the second or third trimester. It is unknown whether hydrochlorothiazide and losartan passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby. There may be interaction between losartan – hydrochlorothiazide and other medications such as alcohol, colestipol, digoxin, diuretics, lithium, topiramate, tubocurarine, etc.
Discover a World of Health Benefits in Your Home Aquarium