10 Natural Remedies to Overcome Erectile Dysfunctionby Carissa Andrews - June 8th, 2015
Erectile Dysfunction (ED) gets talked about a lot. Sometimes in a very serious way, other times it’s more light-hearted jabs as comedians poke fun. However, for the 5-25% of men who suffer from long-term ED, finding ways to cope or overcome it becomes a mission. Most of us are aware of the “little blue pill" and its counterparts, but there are a few natural ways to overcome ED as well.
If you’ve been looking for other ways to conquer ED, this article is a great place to start. We have 10 lifestyle and natural remedies to put in your arsenal. Of course, every person is different, so be sure to discuss alternative remedies with your doctor before taking the leap. Not all solutions are suited for everyone. So be smart and stay safe, too.
1. Weight LossDid you know that the larger your waist, the higher your chance is for Erectile Dysfunction? A man with a 32 inch waist is 50% less likely to have ED over a man whose waist is 42 inches or bigger. Obesity in general raises the risk for vascular disease or diabetes – two major contributors to ED. That’s not all, having excess fat can interfere with many of your hormones (testosterone is a biggie), which also exacerbates the problem. So really, no matter which way you look at it, this simple (notice I did not say easy) tip is probably your number one place to start.
2. Stop SmokingSmoking messes with many functions in a person’s body. It can cause the narrowing of important blood vessels, much like vascular disease. If ED is a problem, and you smoke, it may be time to kick the habit. Your body will thank you in more ways than one.
3. Limit AlcoholAlcohol can cause ED in men both long-term and short-term. Because alcohol consumption depresses the central nervous system, it can dampen its release of nitric oxide, an essential chemical for producing and maintaining an erection. So limit the amount of alcohol you drink to one serving (or less) and see if your body’s response improves.
4. Maintain Dental HealthStrange, but true. When researchers checked into the correlation between dental health and ED, they found that 53% of men who suffer from ED also had chronic periodontitis (severe gum disease). The reason this could be playing a role is due to inflammation. When you have severe gum disease, your body wages an all out war – sending the body’s immune system into overdrive as it works on the problem. By keeping your teeth and gums healthy, you’re giving your body’s natural defenses better things to do.
5. Pelvic ExercisesJust like for us ladies, strengthening your pelvic floor can lead to better sex. Kegel exercises for men strengthen the bulbocavernosus muscle, which will do three things: empties the urethra after urination, allows blood to engorge the penis, and pumps during ejaculation. Seems to me, it’s a pretty important muscle to keep healthy.
5 Natural Remedies to Give a Go
1. L-ArginineThis amino acid, which occurs naturally in food, boosts the body's production of nitric oxide, a compound that facilitates erections by dilating blood vessels in the penis.
2. Red Korean Ginseng(also known as Panax Ginseng) – Red Ginseng has been known to also facilitate the synthesis of nitric oxide, much like L-Arginine. A 2009 clinical study showed that 1000 mg of Panax ginseng twice daily improved erectile function and overall sexual satisfaction among men with erectile dysfunction.
3. GarlicEating more garlic has some advantages for men seeking to up their sexual prowess. Garlic may make your breath a bit stinky, but it also lowers blood pressure, increases testosterone, plus it’s a very potent nitric oxide booster, and a potent NOS (Nitric Oxide Synthase) activator. In one study, garlic was noted to increase blood flow by 15% on calves, but could be even more effective in humans. Just think of what an increase of 15% blood flow could do to your nether bits, fellas!
4. PomegranatesThese superfood fruits pack a powerful punch, and it’s not just related to your sexual potency. However, the reason it’s on this lists has to do with the fact that raw pomegranate (straight up fruit) or pure pomegranate juice is phenomenal for your cardiovascular system when drank long-term. A study found that after 3 years of drinking pomegranate juice, their subjects had reduced the plaque in arterial walls by 30% on average. What’s more, testosterone levels are boosted, as well as increased the activity of Nitric Oxide Synthase, which is pretty much the same mechanism as in all erection medications.
5. Raw Cacao – Raw Cacao(or raw chocolate) has many benefits to those who try it. This isn’t the über processed chocolate on your grocery shelf, though. You need to go to a health food store, or order from a well-known online shop specializing in this amazing natural remedy. Cacao helps with sexual function because it lowers your systolic blood pressure 5-15 points, which means your arteries are expanding to allow blood to flow more freely. Raw cacao products are also known for their ability to increase nitric oxide production, which probably explains the above drop in systolic blood pressure. Either way, who doesn’t love a bit of chocolate, right?
Remember, this article is not substitute for your doctor’s advice. If you have questions about whether these remedies could be the right choice for you, consult your doctor and talk openly about your questions.